If I were to tell my kids that I was cooking cabbage, they would not be excited. So, I didn’t tell them. Instead, I cooked up this cabbage roll soup and served it…and they loved it. Honestly, kids can be so picky and most of them would refuse anything with cabbage in it. If you have a picky eater at home, you really need to try this soup. It has chicken, cabbage, carrots and so many other wonderful ingredients. It is sort of like having an eggroll but in soup form!
My kids really did love it and I love that it is a bit healthier than many other options. With loads of vegetables and chicken, it’s much better for you than fast food or canned soups. And, it doesn’t take long to get it on the table. You only need about 15 minutes to get it ready to cook and then it cooks for less than an hour. I served this cabbage roll soup with these ham and cheese pockets and had a soup and sandwich type thing going on and my family loved it.
You seriously want to try this soup. It has such a unique flavor that you just don’t get from other chicken soups and it really is healthy with the cabbage and other veggies. I don’t get to make homemade soups much unless they can be cooked in the crockpot. This is a stovetop soup and it takes so little time to make that I have put it on my menu for next week, too. And, I plan to serve these yummy hazelnut cheesecake bars for dessert.
Cabbage Roll Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Total time: 45-50 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 400 g (14 oz)
500 g (1 pound) of minced chicken
3 tbsps. of vegetable oi
1 medium white onion, chopped;
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ head of white cabbage, shredded
1 small carrot, grated
4 cups of water (or chicken/vegetable broth)
3 cups of tomato sauce
½ cup of rice
2 tbsps. of sugar
Scallions for garnish
1. Place large soup pot over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Fry minced chicken for 2-3 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
2. Add all the listed vegetables to the minced chicken and continue cooking for 5 minutes more. Season with more salt, pepper, sugar and minced garlic.
3. Add rice, water and tomato sauce. Bring soup to simmer and cook covered for 25 minutes.
4. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve sprinkled with freshly sliced scallions.
Fresh cabbage, chicken and spices give this cabbage roll soup an amazingly unique flavor
The ingredients are so colorful when you put them all together
The soup cooks up in less than an hour and is guaranteed to please even picky eaters
Serve with sour cream or your favorite soup toppings and enjoy
This Cabbage Roll Soup Is As Tasty As It Is Healthy
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 500 g (1 pound) of minced chicken
- 3 tbsps. of vegetable oi
- 1 medium white onion, chopped;
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ head of white cabbage, shredded
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 4 cups of water (or chicken/vegetable broth)
- 3 cups of tomato sauce
- ½ cup of rice
- 2 tbsps. of sugar
- Scallions for garnish
- Place large soup pot over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Fry minced chicken for 2-3 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add all the listed vegetables to the minced chicken and continue cooking for 5 minutes more. Season with more salt, pepper, sugar and minced garlic.
- Add rice, water and tomato sauce. Bring soup to simmer and cook covered for 25 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve sprinkled with freshly sliced scallions.
Cuisine: American | Recipe Type: Main dish